You probably associate the word mold with rotten food and dirty bathrooms, however, this substance appears to be everywhere. You are breathing it and ingesting it every day, even when you are not aware of that.

Mold is not only what grows in damp and wet areas or in dirty homes and buildings.

In fact, most of the time, mold is invisible. It develops unnoticed behind your walls, under your floors and in your food.

Although you can’t see it, you can’t avoid its toxic, or even deadly effects.

When mold overruns your body it shuts down your immune system and starts causing illnesses that take too long to be diagnosed and cured.

 

 

The Silent Killer

Different kinds of mold have different levels of toxicity. The most poisonous ones are called mycotoxins and they are very difficult to eliminate once they settle in your environment or your body.

Mycotoxins contaminate everything in their surrounding including your furniture, linens, draperies and your clothes.

When they get in your body they start damaging your immune system and ravaging your joints, your nervous system and your brain.

It can be the cause for many severe diseases, including cancer and in many cases the damage these toxins cause is lethal.

A study published in the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in 2005 said:

“Acute toxicity generally has a rapid onset and an obvious toxic response, while chronic toxicity is characterized by low-dose exposure over a long time period resulting in cancers and other generally irreversible effects.”

Mold Toxicity

Even if you get mildly affected by mold you will experience allergies as a consequence.

In a study published in Applied and Environmental Biology in 2011 it was discovered that 25 to 28% of North Americans have genetic predispositions to experience the negative effects when they are in water-damaged places.

The study also discovered that 50% of homes and buildings in North America have “dampness”, which is a fertile ground for fungi and mold and that “fungal growth is a problem in 15 to 40 percent of North American (homes).”

The meaning of this is that the chance that your home or workplace will get mold is 50-50, and if it does get mold, there is a 40% chance that you will feel its negative effects as a consequence.

Where Does Mold Grow?

Usually in damp places with little or no ventilation like bathrooms, basements, and any other place that has water.

It might start with a leak in your roof or behind your shower. If you had a flood and was not cleaned well, the mold can get under your floors or behind the drywall.

In some cases it can be brought in your home during construction by contaminated materials like untreated wood. It can also develop in dirty HVAC system where dust and moisture have accumulated for months and even years.

The mold that grows in dry and arid climates like Nevada or Arizona can cause severe breathing problems.

Food (grains, nuts, chocolate, coffee and wine) is also prone to getting mycotoxins.

How do I Know if I Have Mold Poisoning?

Until recently, doctors were telling their patients that the symptoms were “in their head” because they were not able to pinpoint the cause.

However, recent studies show that the negative effects of mold are real and can threaten the lives of those who are more susceptible.

When you get chronically exposed to mold, the symptoms are mild at first and become more severe when your body gets overwhelmed.

The symptoms are very similar to those of Lyme disease, Celiac disease, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and others so it is easy for doctors to misdiagnose you if they are not familiar with the signs of mold toxicity.

Moreover, the treatment for these conditions is different from that of mold toxicity.

14 Warning Signs – Symptoms of Mold Poisoning:

Blurred vision

Auto-immune issues

Joint pain

Fatigue

Headaches

Weight fluctuation

Neurocognitive problems

Brain Fog/Confusion/Memory loss

Mood problems

Sleep disorder

Inflammatory problems

GI problems/food sensitivities

Numbness and tingling

Sensitivity to light

If your immune system is weak mold can affect your lungs, skin, organs, eyes and even cause lung cancer or renal failure.

What Can I Do?

Check your environment. The most commonly used test is the ERMI (environmental, relative moldiness index), developed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). It reveals whether a mold I toxic or not.

Seek a professional mold remediation expert: if the results are positive you can start working with a professional mold remediation company that will help you find the source of the mold and make all necessary repairs to get rid of it. After the work is finished test the area again.

Find a doctor that specializes in mold issues, a doctor trained in the “Shoemaker Protocol” or knows the mold illness so that you can start detoxifying.

Lead a healthy life: after you eliminate the toxins from your body you will have to avoid foods that feed or contain yeast, mold and fungus like carbohydrates and sugars – in fact you will need to follow a Candida diet. You can restore your body with supplements such as glutathione, activated charcoal, olive leaf and many others.

Stay informed: the world is now starting to understand the effects of mold on our health. There are many sources of information you can use to inform and protect yourself and your family.